Before You Visit a Saline County Firework Stand
Tis the season for those little roadside tents to pop up along the landscape. You know the ones. You'll see more and more fireworks stands as the calendar edges closer to the Fourth of July. This is the year you're going BIG.
Well, maybe not so fast.
There are some key safety measures to keep in mind before you light that first fuse! The goal is to have fun, and if safety isn't a priority, your celebration could end with something burning other than the fuse or worse, a surprise trip to the emergency room.
First, familiarize yourself with the state laws pertaining to fireworks in your area, wherever you may celebrate. Arkansas only permits certain types of firework purchases during specific times of the year, and only to those 12 years old and older.
Secondly, keep yourself safe! Make sure to never lean over the fuse when lighting it and keep a garden hose or water bucket nearby as a safety precaution. It's extremely tempting to try and re-light a "dud" firework, but don't do it! It could explode and burn you. Did you know that 44% of firework injuries were due to burns? That's an important percentage to remember, especially when it comes to children. Many people see sparklers as harmless, but a lit sparkler burns at around 2000 degrees. Half of the total firework injuries to young children involved sparklers. Please choose a safer alternative like a glow stick or streamer for your child.
When it comes to fireworks, don't forget about your furry friends. Dogs are extremely sensitive to loud noises and flashing lights. Walk them earlier in the day and leave them indoors when fireworks are in use. Close the curtains and make them a comfortable spot with music or a television playing to distract from the loud noises outside.
With a little consideration and the proper safety precautions, fireworks can be a lot of fun. No matter how you celebrate, do it safely! Have a Happy Independence Day from your friends at SERVPRO of Saline County and SERVPRO of Hot Springs!