Fire Detector Installation and Maintenance
An important way to prevent your home or business from a fire loss is by following proper protocol when it comes to installing and maintaining fire detectors.
- The same fire detectors should never be used for longer than 10 years. If you have had the same detectors for longer than this, it is important to invest in new ones right away.
- The size and layout of your home or business will determine how many detectors you need. However, as a guide, you should have at a minimum 1 detector per each level.
- Your detectors should be installed in central locations. Ceiling detectors should be placed on a flat stretch of the ceiling and wall-placed devices must be less than 12 inches from the ceiling.
- Make sure to follow your device’s instructions very carefully when installing them (especially detectors that require hardwired power). If you are uncomfortable installing on your own, there are many professionals available to install them for you.
- Test your alarms after installing by using the test button and perform power tests monthly.
- Replace non-hardwired detectors’ batteries annually.
- Lastly, thoroughly clean your detectors each year. This is important because dust and other pollutants can impede its performance.